Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Article of Faith Flash Cards


I found this original idea on the blog called All Things Bright and Beautiful. I fell in love with these immediately, so I downloaded each card and had them developed at Sams Club. There was a problem though, they came out blurry and smaller than a 4x6 print. I found her Etsy shop, but didn't see the prints, so I contacted her to see if I could purchase the file. Unfortunately for me and her, the computer with the file on it died and took the file with it. LAME! I needed these cards for a project at church. So insert my husband with his mad Indesign skills. He recreated each card. By him doing this, the blurriness and size problems were solved.

My next problem was how to I protect each card? It was too costly to have them professionally laminated. I always thought that personal home use laminators were expensive. Plus I really didn't have a reason to have one. So naturally, I went to Amazon.com to see what I could find.

I ultimately bought Amazon's brand LAMINATOR and a pack of 100 sheets of laminating POUCHES.

I feel like the pictures are enough of an explanation of how to put the project together, so here you go:



I did try to contact the original designer about sharing these updated cards on her blog, but she never got back to me. So, I am willing to share the JPG files. Send me a request by email. I don't mind sharing as long as you use them for personal or church use. Please DO NOT sell them as your own.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Pallet Turkey

A few months back, my sister found THIS pallet turkey on Pinterest and said we had to make our own. So we did.


Supplies:
(4) 3.5"x6' Cedar fence slats (cut in half = 36")
(1) 5.5"x6' Cedar fence slat
(1) 2"x2"x8' board
paint- orange, red, and white
paintbrushes
Dark Walnut Stain
Special Walnut Stain
nail gun + nails
drill + screws
(2) buttons

First thing we did was lay the boards out. Next, we drew the body of the turkey onto the boards. Once we had the design all figured out, we cut it out, board by board, using a bandsaw.

Next, we glued and nailed support pieces to the back of the body.


We also did this to the back of the head/front. Not only did this add support to the turkey, but it also gave it a 3-D effect.

Before we glued/nailed the two parts together, we stained the back piece dark walnut and front special walnut. We also added a whitewash layer to the front/head piece. Then we painted the beak orange and the snood red, then glued/nailed it to the head. I thought my turkey needed eyes, so I glued on two different sized buttons.

Then we screwed three screws into the back of the turkey to connect the front body/head with the back body.


I went into this project feeling hesitant, and came came out overjoyed with the final product. I love it when projects turn out better than you thought they were going to!