www.squarefootgardening.comI think we are going to try this and see if this works!
The Ten Basics
- LAYOUT - Arrange your garden in squares, not rows. Lay it out in 4'x4' planting areas.
- BOXES - Build boxes to hold a new soil mix above ground.
- AISLES - Space boxes 3' apart to form walking aisles.
- SOIL - Fill boxes with Mel's special soil mix: 1/3 blended compost, 1/3 peat moss, and 1/3 coarse vermiculite.
- GRID - Make a permanent square foot grid for the top of each box. A MUST!
- CARE - NEVER WALK ON YOUR GROWING SOIL. Tend your garden from the aisles.
- SELECT - Plant a different flower, vegetable, or herb crop in each square foot, using 1, 4, 9, or 16 plants per square foot.
- PLANT - Conserve seeds. Plant only a pinch (2 or 3 seeds) per hole. Place transplants in a slight saucer-shaped depression.
- WATER - Water by hand from a bucket of sun-warmed water.
- HARVEST - When you finish harvesting a square foot, add compost and replant it with a new and different crop.